In early 2021, a 16-year-old girl was found by Queensland Police in bushland, unresponsive after directly inhaling toxic chemicals from several deodorant cans. She now suffers a permanent brain injury. This injury was the result of “chroming,” otherwise known as “sniffing”, or “huffing”, or what researchers refer to as Volatile Substance Misuse.
This act of inhaling certain products is something that is experimented with by kids as young as 10 years old. The products used are cheap, easily accessible and on the shelves of our local stores. And the kicker - it’s not illegal. It has left many with irreversible brain damage, and for some truly unlucky ones, it has resulted in death from their first inhale.
What drives young people to inhale potentially lethal substances? What are law enforcement and governments doing to combat the issue? And what is the most effective way to educate parents, teachers, and young people?
Throughout this series, we examine inhalants and how the misuse of them has led to severe consequences by talking to the people dealing with the repercussions of it. We also ask questions about the manufacture and distribution of the products used in these cases, and the role of those making - and profiting - from them.
Hosted by Phoebe Zukowski-Wallace